Wednesday, April 15, 2009

QOTW: American Movies

Okay, so I need some help coming up with a list of classic/quintessential American movies. Our friend Vittorio, who is Italian but did all his school in England, is coming to teach at Notre Dame, and he asked me if I could think of American movies he should watch before coming so he can start to acculturate himself to the US, especially the Midwest. Europeans probably are already familiar with the "great" cinematic films and the major Hollywood releases, so I'm trying to think of films that are somehow particularly American that he might not have run across. Here's my list so far - can you add to it?

1. Field of Dreams
2. Gone with the Wind
3. Dances with Wolves
4. Hoosiers
5. It's a Wonderful Life
6. Forrest Gump

7 comments:

  1. These are movies I consider iconic American films. Some or all of them have probably faded from the consciousness of European film goers.

    Stagecoach (the 1939 version with John Wayne)
    Red River
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    The Thin Man
    The Maltese Falcon
    His Girl Friday
    Yankee Doodle Dandy
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    The Philadelphia Story (I hate the pre-feminist ideas but love Grant, Hepburn, and Stewart)
    The Wizard of Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of the quintessential American stories is that of the immigrant. Three movies (that also happen to be some of my all-time favorites) that tell that story are:
    In America
    My Family/Mi Familia
    The Namesake

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) O Brother - american roots riff on western civ classic - i would recommend it even if it were about anatartica
    2) The Sting
    and
    3) The Natural - redford classics on pre ww2 era - money and baseball, how american is that?
    4) Troublesome Creek - documentary on a family's experience of the upheaval in agriculture in the 80's - the black clouds gathering on the horizon are undoubtably the dark minions of monsanto
    5) Farmer John - a great companion work to troublesome creek

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm probably way late on this, but wanted to add one of my favorite commentaries on a particular slice of contemporary American culture - American Beauty. Angst and discontent in suburbia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought of another American Film: Coal Miner's Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two more: The Right Stuff and Apollo 13

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've settled into looking for American Films which show a particular ecosystem or socio-economic class in the U.S.:

    Melvin and Howard
    Fargo
    Bonnie and Clyde

    Does anyone know a film that feels true to Ohio? Shouldn't there be at least one great film that includes a wedding reception in a Methodist church basement on a hot afternoon in June? Must I be the one to write the screenplay?

    ReplyDelete